Since 2015 the housing company has worked in partnership with Greggs Foundation to support three breakfast clubs in primary schools across Gateshead, giving children a good start to their school day.
The clubs run in the heart of our local communities, in schools which registered with the Foundation stating they needed support.
Up to 50 children benefit from a breakfast club in these schools:
- Parkhead Primary, Winlaton
- Brandling Primary, Felling
- Barley Mow Primary, Birtley
Research from Durham University and feedback from teachers has shown that the clubs helped to:
- Encourage children to socialise and make new friends
- Improve health and nutrition
- Improve concentration
- Improve results
- Enable staff and children to form better relationships
- Improve attendance and punctuality
Helen Watson, Involvement and Diversity Lead, said: “Sponsoring Breakfast Clubs not only helps us to support families who are in most need, but also gives us a great opportunity to work more closely with local primary schools.
“Establishing more effective working relationships between local schools and our neighbourhood offices helps us to deliver excellent services in our local communities.”