Changes to your home (adaptations)

by The Gateshead Housing Company & filed under Help in your home.

Adaptations are changes made to your home to make it easier, if you are disabled or an older person, to live independently in your own home.

There are two types of adaptations – Minor and Major

Minor adaptations are fixed alterations that cost less than £1,000 examples include:

  • grab rails
  • hand rails
  • door-entry systems
  • alterations to steps
  • widening of a door or path

Major adaptations are alterations that normally cost more then £1,000 examples include:

  • ramps
  • stairlifts
  • vertical lift
  • shower over a bath
  • level-access shower
  • ceiling track hoist

Major adaptations can include internal and external changes to the layout of a property. However, it is only in very exceptional circumstances that a property will be extended. There will also be some situations where it will be appropriate to explore the option of alternative accommodation.

People who might need major adaptations are assessed by Gateshead Council’s Community Occupational Therapy Service who will provide specialist help and advice throughout the adaptations process.

Apply for adaptations

In order to apply for adaptations to be carried out to your home you need to contact Adult Social Care Direct on 0191 433 7033 an Assessing Officer or the Occupational Therapy Team will then get in touch to arrange an assessment.

We aim to carry out assessments within one month of receiving a referral but due to demand this is not always feasible.

The adaptations team and the medical re-housing team work closely together and individuals are not able to have their home adapted while wishing to re-house.