Some homes managed by the housing company will be advertised on the basis of longest waiting time and others on housing need.
There are four levels of housing need:
Critical housing need
Critical housing need applies to members who:
- Have a critical medical need and must be rehoused in order to be discharged from hospital or a care home
- Are experiencing severe harassment, and have been assessed as being at risk unless rehoused
- Applicants who must be rehoused to prevent a child being taken into care or to ensure the safety of children under the terms of current legislation
- Are an urgent homeless cases, where Gateshead Council needs to discharge its statutory duty as a matter of urgency.
Urgent housing need
Urgent housing need applies to members who:
- Are statutorily homeless
- Are threatened with becoming homeless
- Have a severe medical need who are at risk in their current home
- Are severely overcrowded
- Have received a proposed demolition of their home or change of use agreed by Gateshead Council
- Are part of Gateshead Council’s suported tenancy scheme – Single Gateway
- Are leaving care – where Gateshead Council has a parental responsibility to minors
- Are leaving a Gateshead Council tied tenancy (imminently)
- Are leaving the armed forces (imminently)
- Are entitled to alternative accommodation – instead of succeeding to a tenancy
- Would release a property in high demand, by moving to one in lower demand
- Are suffering from domestic violence.
Substantial housing need
Substantial housing need applies to members who:
- Are non-priority homeless, but not intentionally homeless
- Have a medical need that may be worsened by living in current home
- Are overcrowded, but not severely
- Are leaving a Gateshead Council tied tenancy (but not imminently)
- Are leaving the armed forces (but not imminently)
- Have children and live in multi-storey flats
- Are intentionally homeless in a priority need group. You are homeless but as a result of your own actions (only considered after other applicants within this category).
General housing need
General housing need applies to members who:
- Live outside of the borough
- Do not qualify for one of the other housing need categories.