- Location: South Tyneside, Gateshead, County Durham
- Service: Housing Services
- Line Manager: Senior Armed Forces Community Outreach Worker
- Car User Status: Casual
To provide direct support and outreach advice to the Armed Forces Community about housing options and support services available. To signpost the Armed Forces Community to appropriate support services.
The key roles of this post will include:
1. To promote the service within the local community through surgeries and other formats to the Armed Forces Community to ensure that the Armed Forces Community knows how to access the service and gain support.
2. To provide one to one advice and support to the Armed Forces Community on housing, resettlement, training and employment, education, income benefits, injury compensation and other issues. To undertake home visits when required.
3. To use effective risk assessment tools to identify risks and undertake appropriate actions.
4. To make contact with other external services and providers to ensure that the Armed Forces Community is referred to appropriate services for assistance.
5. To keep accurate records of those in the Armed Forces Community who have accessed the service. To monitor activity and capture outcomes to support reporting requirements both internally and externally.
6. To adhere to policies and procedures regarding the working practices and service delivery. This will include; Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults, Health and Safety, Data Protection/Confidentiality and the service’s Code of Conduct.
7. Such other duties allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above or relevant experience.
- A full driving license and access to a car (for which casual car user status will be payable)
- Time spent serving in the Armed Forces or experience of working with the Armed Forces
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Effective communication
- Ability to empathise and help others
- Knowledge of the re-settlement process for veterans
- Maintaining accurate records
- Working on own initiative
- Current issues facing veterans
- IT skills including Microsoft Office packages
- Data protection and confidentiality
- Current welfare benefits
- Safeguarding policies/procedures
- Housing/social care
Interacting and presenting
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others
Presenting and communicating information
- Speaks fluently, expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly
Supporting and co-operating
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy
- Listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well
Adapting and coping
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapting to change and working effectively in a variety of different situations
Enterprising and performing
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Actively improves by developing new skills and knowledge and learns from past experience
Organising and executing
Planning and organising
- Organised and takes responsibility for achieving results
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals
Following instructions and procedure
- Not challenging authority
- Follows procedures and policies
- Keeps to schedules
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role