- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Business and Development
- Grade: L SCP 37-40, £39,782 – £42,683
- Line manager: Director of Property and Assets
- Car user status: Casual
- Line management:
3 x Compliance Officers
1 x Fire Safety Adviser
1 x Data Entry Clerk
The Compliance and Business Assurance Manager is a key role working with the Council’s Housing Asset Management Team and Health and Safety Team to ensure the effective management of landlord compliance to assure key stakeholders.
The Compliance and Business Assurance Manager is responsible for:
- To promote a positive workplace culture ensuring that employees are recruited, developed, and motivated to work effectively, develop their full potential through a coaching and mentoring approach, treated fairly with dignity and respect, encouraged to contribute and influence service plans and ways of working which contribute to the company’s aims and objectives.
- Lead on the development and maintenance of the core property data, compliance databases and other property related databases, ensuring that the core property data is accurate, triangulated and validated to provide full visibility of all assets and liabilities.
- Lead, develop, implement and maintain the relevant Data Management Protocols, including liaison with Property Services and other stakeholders on the visibility, management, transfer and integrity of data, enabling “a single version of the truth.”
- Working with colleagues to regularly review landlord compliance arrangements to ensure they continue to meet regulatory requirements.
- Working with landlord compliance teams to develop a comprehensive landlord compliance strategy which sets out a framework for the delivery of plans and programmes.
- Managing the development of fire safety programmes and managing the Fire Safety Adviser to effectively deliver those programmes.
- Undertaking regular reviews of corporate risks facing the organisation and creating action plans to ensure the risk management strategy and risk register are effective and risks are being actively managed.
- Contributing to and monitoring the effectiveness of business continuity and disaster recovery plans for the organisation and individual services where necessary.
- Embedding a culture of risk management supported by policies and guidance across the business.
- Monitoring and evaluating performance against compliance regulation.
- Developing and implementing a corporate compliance system and processes which interface with other corporate systems and ensure records of progress against audits, programmes, plans and strategies are effectively managed.
- Enabling continuous improvement in relation to compliance and service delivery by prioritising and escalating issues in relation to non-compliance.
- Reporting on the findings of monitoring and evaluation processes; identifying areas for improvement or address in terms of risk management and making recommendations as appropriate.
- Making best use of health and safety resources in terms of policies, procedures, audits and advice. Assisting the company’s health and safety officer to recommend, plan, develop and implement health and safety systems and practices across the organisation including fire safety, first aid provision and safe working practices.
- Devising and implementing a programme of policy and procedure review to ensure compliance arrangements are current and meet the requirements of legislation.
- Supporting services across the company to understand compliance responsibilities; changes in legislation; and assist them in identifying opportunities to improve services and do things differently.
- To act as an ambassador for equality and inclusion, ensuring a continual review of the impact of change on both our employees and customers to ensure we do our best not disadvantage a particular group(s); maintaining our corporate commitment to be an inclusive employer and landlord.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Introducing business compliance and risk management arrangements.
- Undertaking internal reviews or audits to ensure compliance procedures and regulations are being followed.
- Assessing compliance and operational risks and developing appropriate risk management strategies, plans and registers.
- Formulating and disseminating policies and procedures in relation to compliance activities.
- Developing and implementing systems and processes to retain business assurance documentation and provide oversight and monitoring of business and landlord compliance across the business.
- Preparing reports for key stakeholders on progress with monitoring and managing risks and business and landlord compliance issues.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Providing training to key stakeholders on business and landlord compliance related topics, policies or procedures.
- Advising technical professionals on the development or use of landlord compliance processes, systems and reporting tools.
- Developing compliance plans and programmes for business and landlord compliance.
- Subject related qualifications and/or significant demonstratable subject related experience
- Current knowledge of compliance and risk management regulations and best practice in relation to business, landlord compliance and health and safety
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace.
- Leading the development and delivery of fire safety programmes
- Reviewing health and safety arrangements in a large organisation
- NEBOSH or IOSH qualified
- Developing landlord compliance programmes
- Working with a diverse range of customers
Leading and supervising
Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high calibre; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
Following instructions and procedures
Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Deciding and initiating action
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Adhering to principles and values
Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Persuading and influencing
Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
Presenting and communicating
Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Writing and reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm; works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary; seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence; identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.