- Location: Shearlegs Road
- Service: Property and Assets
- Line Manager: Project Manager
- Car user status: Casual
The operational management of construction projects.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To undertake the day-to-day management and co-ordination of a multi-disciplinary team engaged in the delivery of construction projects.
- Support, develop and coach team members to achieve set objectives including managing attendance in line with company policies and procedures.
- To work in partnership with Human Resources and Organisational Development to seek appropriate advice, guidance and support where necessary to ensure employee matters are managed in line with company policy and procedure.
- Management of subcontractors and co-ordinate their works day to day in-line with the project programme.
- To assist in the assessment and programming of the overall workload of the section.
- To assist in the preparation of programmes for construction projects and keep these updated throughout the project.
- To monitor and manage the progress of projects against programme to ensure that projects are delivered on time, within specification and budget and to the client’s satisfaction.
- To ensure compliance with appropriate specifications and carry out all appropriate testing for compliance.
- To deliver quality services within an appropriate framework.
- To be pro-active in all aspects of safety management by complying with current legislation, including the CDM Regs in order to promote a culture of good health & safety practice within the working environment.
- To be pro-active in partnership/collaborative working, in order to deliver new ways of working and establish good partnership working.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
Experience and knowledge:
- Principles of Construction with relevant on-site managerial work experience
- Health & Safety regulations, including CDM Regs
- Managing, coaching and developing teams, individuals and sub-contractors on site
- Financial control of construction projects
- IT literate
- Project/programme management
- Relevant legislation
- Managing, coaching and developing teams and individuals
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- Good verbal communication skills
- HNC in Construction Management or equivalent qualification in a construction related subject and extensive experience working at a similar level
- CITB Site Safety Certificate or equivalent
- CSCS card appropriate to level for position and responsibility
- Driving licence
- Contract administration
- IT literate
- Use of MS Project
- Good written communication skills
- Use of project management methodology in a practical environment
- Relevant professional/managerial qualification
- HND In Construction Management or equivalent in construction related subject
- Prince 2 Project Management
- Temporary works coordinator
- NEBOSH Certificate in Construction
- Trained First Aider
- Scaffold Inspection
- Working with a diverse range of customers
Competencies relating to this post
Deciding and initiating action
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with people
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Writing and reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Planning and organising
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Following instructions and procedures
Not challenging authority; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Coping with pressures and setbacks
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.