- Job title: Development and Operations Manager (Keelman Homes)
- Service: On secondment from The Gateshead Housing Company to Keelman Homes
- Grade: Grade N (subject to job evaluation)
To be the Development and Operations Manager for the delivery of the Keelman Homes strategic objectives:
- Building new affordable housing
- Purchasing empty properties
- Managing properties on behalf of other registered providers.
- Meet the affordable housing needs of Gateshead’s residents working with The Gateshead Housing Company and Gateshead Council with the aim of maximising housing investment.
- Proactively develop and research new funding models for housing opportunities to maximise housing supply in line with Gateshead Council’s Housing Strategy.
- Assessing options and making recommendations to maximise housing outcomes to meet local need including new build, empty homes initiatives and managing stock on behalf of other stakeholders.
- Ensure Keelman Homes Board is fully appraised on development plans and proposals, including legal, financial and management arrangements.
- Lead on the development of property management opportunities and ensure management agreements are developed that ensure effective financial, legal and housing management arrangements are in place in order to manage stock effectively.
- Liaise with colleagues from The Gateshead Housing Company and Gateshead Council in developing financially viable, evidence-based stock options appraisal for schemes that enable informed strategic decisions to be made about the opportunities for development and regeneration schemes.
- Co-ordinate activity in relation to the purchase or transfer of miscellaneous properties and empty homes on behalf of Keelman Homes and ongoing management arrangements.
- To explore other opportunities that will generate positive returns for both Keelman Homes and the residents of Gateshead.
- To act as the key contact with the Homes & Communities Agency and other external stakeholders.
- The postholder reports to: Managing Director
- The postholder has line management responsibility for:
a) 1 x New Build Manager
b) 1 x Development Support Assistant
c) 0.5 x FTE Accounts Assistant
- The postholder will be required to work: occasionally outside of normal office hours
- Significant track-record of successful management of relevant aspects of the affordable housing development process gained at a senior level within a local authority, registered provider, government body or agency, private developer or similar.
- A successful record of working effectively with a range of partners to facilitate inward investment for housing development and deliver new affordable housing schemes.
- Varied experience of developing housing projects including developing, leading and implementing strategies and initiatives, which cross service and sectors.
- Experience of successful resource management, and the delivery and measurement of cost effective, qualitative services within constrained resources.
- Experience of working effectively within a complex political environment as well as evidence of developing, implementing and monitoring clear standards of performance and service delivery outcome.
- Experience of engaging and influencing at a senior level and communicating ideas to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience of managing strategic policy and planning services.
- Up-to-date knowledge of best practice in enabling new affordable housing and promoting high standards in the housing sector.
- An understanding of the workings of local government and the challenges being set by the new local government agenda along with the financial, legal and political context of local government.
- The ability to develop housing strategies in line with Gateshead Council’s corporate plans, policies and objectives and in compliance with national strategies and guidance.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent; and evidence of a commitment to continuing professional development.
- Able to combine a strategic and practical approach to maximising new affordable housing development.
- A corporate team player, highly motivated and resilient.
- A decision maker who listens to, and responds to the views of others along with a high degree of integrity and probity.
- Ability to influence and negotiate effectively along with the ability to lead, motivate, inspire confidence and enthusiasm.
Formulating strategies and concepts
Able to combine a strategic and practical approach to maximising new affordable housing development.
Leading and Supervising
A corporate team player, highly motivated and resilient.
Deciding and Initiating Action
A decision maker who listens to and responds to the views of others along with a high degree of integrity and probity.
Persuading and Influencing
Ability to influence and negotiate effectively along with the ability to lead, motivate, inspire confidence and enthusiasm.
Adhering to Principles and Values
Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Writing and Reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Key Accountabilities and Result Areas
This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the postholder and employees will be expected to carry out such other reasonable duties which may be required from time to time.
|Key Result Area||Expected End Result|
|Develop effective relationships with funders, and development, regeneration and financial leads in order to support the affordable housing targets.||Maximise housing opportunities and have regard to tenure, affordability and location.|
|Liaise directly with partners and deliver an efficient, open and professional service to stakeholders in the development of housing schemes and projects.||Stakeholders and customers are fully engaged in the development of new affordable housing schemes and engagement opportunities are well regarded and have high levels of attendance.|
|Maintain robust systems to enable effective performance monitoring.||Management and Financial systems are in place or accessible which are capable of easy interrogation to ensure targets are monitored and early corrective action taken where necessary.
|Proactively identify options to maximise housing and support outcomes, including developing feasibility studies to identify potential in order to achieve housing and support outcomes.||Feasibility studies are conducted that develop a range of options which meet Council priorities and maximise value for money.|
|Investigate, analysis and share expertise of emerging models of securing inward investment in affordable housing.||Provide expert advice to senior officers and members on alternative funding models.|
|Lead multi-disciplinary project groups with the aim of devising innovative inward investment models that maximise the financial return on Housing assets.||Innovative options and opportunities for maximising the return on housing assets are brought to members’ and senior officers’ attention.|
|To be a key contact with the Homes and Communities Agency develop a relationship and grow the reputation of Keelman Homes as a provider of choice.
|Ensure that policy and legislative requirements are known and shared within the organisation and that schemes developed are well resourced, achieve value for money and provide cost effective outcomes.
|Monitor emerging trends and legislative or national policy priorities in affordable housing to ensure opportunities for inward investment are maximised.||New initiatives or opportunities are identified and costed proposals made for decision.|
|Ensure effective cross service liaison to ensure smooth delivery of housing schemes in a timely fashion.||Key stakeholders such as Planning, Education and Highways are engaged and aware of and contribute to the development of affordable housing development proposals.|
|To support the effective governance of Keelman Homes.||Ensure effective policy development and governance in all areas of activity.|