- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre (occasionally be required to travel throughout Gateshead)
- Service: Corporate Services
- Line Manager: Development and Investment Manager
- Car user status: Casual
Main purpose of the job:
- Support the Development and Investment (D&I) Manager in the day-to-day operations of the organisation and its Business Plan objectives, in particular providing all aspects of administration in connection with the delivery of planned new-build and refurbishment programmes
- Assist the D&I Manager in ensuring projects are managed and monitored in accordance with the company’s established project management processes
- Contribute to the formulation, review and improvement of working processes and assist the D&I Manager in producing written policies, procedures and frameworks.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
New & Acquired Housing
- Provide project administration tasks in connection with the delivery of new build and Empty Homes schemes and attend contract meetings where necessary
- Effective communication with all key stakeholders (eg Councillors, members of the public etc), involved in schemes to ensure that their needs and aspirations are fully understood, and where aspirations cannot be delivered the reasons for this are conveyed sensitively in a timely manner
- Support the co-ordination of all technical matters relating to project delivery, communicating with lead officers and ensuring a proactive approach is taken
- Regular research into the latest housing sector legislation, development best practice and news
- Support the effective handover of properties.
- Assist the D&I Manager in ensuring projects are managed and monitored in accordance with the company’s established project management procedures
- Ensure all project management documentation is maintained effectively, including project plans, risk registers and databases.
- To provide administrative services to support customer and stakeholder consultation throughout the development process
- Maintain effective communication with house builder partners, consultants, Housing Management partner (TGHC) and Local Authority departments
- To represent the organisation at meetings with customers and external agencies as appropriate, some of which may be outside of usual hours.
- To work inclusively and value equality and diversity in the workplace and in the provision of services to customers. To proactively raise concerns about discriminatory practices
- To undertake any identified training and development related to the post
- To ensure that all customers, both internal and external, receive an excellent service
- To actively contribute to the continuous improvement of the organisation by responding positively to customer feedback
- This is not intended to be a comprehensive description of the duties of the post. The post holder may be required to undertake other related duties not referred to above. However any changes to this role specifically will be made in conjunction with the post holder.
- Excellent administrative skills supporting project delivery
- The political environment and the ability to effectively communicate with elected Members
- Providing excellent customer service
- Working effectively with stakeholders and customers.
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C, including Maths and English or relevant office experience
- Full driving licence (Casual car user status will be eligible).
- Project Management tools and procedures, and the ability to also think creatively to resolve problems.
- Maintaining project plans, risk registers and databases
- Working with multi-disciplinary and technical teams
- Representing the organisation at meetings with customers and external agencies.
- Business Administration, Construction Management or a related discipline.
- Housing development and management
- Legislation that is relevant to the housing and construction industries.
Working with People
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy
- Listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well.
Relating and Networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Learning and Researching
- Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly
- Demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information
- Gathers comprehensive information to support decision making
- Encourages an organisational learning approach (ie learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback).
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Following Instructions and Procedures
- Not challenging authority
- Follows procedures and policies
- Keeps to schedules
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Adapting and Responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment
- Keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it
- Balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.
Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
- Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends
- Identifies business opportunities for the organisation
- Maintains awareness of developments in the organisational structure and politics
- Demonstrates financial awareness
- Controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.