- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Housing Services
- Line Manager: Partnership and Inclusion Coordinator
- Car User Status: Casual
To provide direct outreach support and advice to victims of domestic abuse, assisting them with their housing needs and ensuring appropriate support is in place to improve outcomes for victims of domestic abuse. To raise awareness of domestic abuse within hard to reach groups in the local community.
The key roles of this post will include:
1. To provide one to one support and advice to victims of domestic abuse around domestic abuse and housing issues.
2. To make contact with other external services and providers to ensure that victims are supported to access appropriate support services.
3. Identify and respond to risk of harm accordingly by putting appropriate measures in place to reduce risk and benefit the victim.
4. To liaise with colleagues in Housing Options, Supported Housing, and other partners to ensure that the most effective and appropriate outcomes are achieved for the victim.
5. To raise awareness within hard to reach groups within the local community about Domestic Abuse and the housing options and support available.
6. To identify the barriers to housing for victims of domestic abuse and using allocated funding to address this where appropriate and identify potential service improvements within TGHC.
7. To carry out presentations on the progress and outcomes achieved by the service.
8. To record data and in particular record outcomes achieved for reporting purposes.
9. To represent TGHC where appropriate at Domestic Abuse and partnership meetings.
10. To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
11. Such other duties allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above or relevant experience
- Experience of in-depth support work with victims of domestic abuse
- Working on own initiative
- Working within a multi-agency framework
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Effective communication
- Domestic Abuse Legislation and relevant multi agency procedures, including safeguarding and MARAC
- Understanding of the issues faced by victims of domestic abuse
- IT skills including working with Microsoft Office packages
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- A full driving license
- IDVA qualification
- Housing qualification
- Housing and homelessness
- Current welfare benefits
- Working with a diverse range of customers
- Report writing
- Managing a budget
- Delivering training
- Data Protection and Confidentiality
Interacting and communicating
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
- Speaks fluently, expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Supporting and co-operating
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy
- Listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values
- Demonstrates integrity
- Promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Adapting and coping
Coping with pressures and setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment
- Keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it
- Balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Enterprising and performing
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities
Organising and executing
Planning and organising
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Following instructions and procedure
- Not challenging authority
- Follows procedures and policies
- Keeps to schedules
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.