- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Housing Services
- Line Manager: Homelessness Business Manager
- Car user status: Casual
To work with the Homelessness Business Manager on the delivery of the strategic aims of the Housing Strategy which incorporates the homeless prevention and rough sleeping action plan.
It will involve working in partnership with other statutory and voluntary agencies developing and reviewing policy, procedures and to ensure operational effectiveness in the prevention of homelessness across services.
The key roles of this post will include:
- Working with the Homelessness Business Manager to implement the strategic aims of the local authority. Develop clear protocols and procedures in relation to homelessness and homeless prevention across all sectors.
- Responsibility for managing and supervising teams within the Housing Options Service and budget management.
- Assisting in the provision and completion of statistical returns. Monitoring and reviewing performance targets and standards
- Develop inter-agency networks to provide a robust homelessness prevention service.
- To facilitate equal access to services to ensure there is no discrimination in service provision.
- Recognise good practise to make cost savings and quality improvements that ensure value for money.
- Working with the other Senior Managers in the service to ensure a streamlined service.
- Interpreting relevant legislation, case law and updating and maintaining standard letters and documentation to reflect legal requirements.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Homeless legislation
- Current health, housing and social care issues
- Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of equality and diversity and the ability to evidence how this would be displayed within the workplace.
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs including Maths and English or equivalent.
- Managing and supervising staff
- Experience of working with homeless and vulnerably housed households
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation and organisation skills
- Chairing meetings and delivering presentations
- Report writing
- IT skills.
- Research and horizon scanning
- A current driving licence and access to a car or means to mobility support.
- Project management
- Budget management
- Service development
- Working as part of a diverse and inclusive workforce
Deciding and Initiating Action
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with People
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Relating and Networking
Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Writing and Reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Planning and Organising
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting and Responding to change
Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm; works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary; seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence; identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.