- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Customers & Communities
- Line Manager: Single Gateway Coordinator
- Car User Status: N/A
To provide general administrative support to the Council’s Housing Options Team.
The key roles of this post will include:
- Confidently and proficiently using and maintaining accurate computer records using a range of computer systems.
- Communicating effectively, both on the telephone and face to face, with professionals, clients and members of the public.
- Developing and maintaining administrative systems to support the work of the team and the overall service.
- Arranging multi-disciplinary meetings, take accurate minutes, and disseminate information.
- Responsibility for filing and invoicing.
- Adhering to Council policies on working practices and service delivery.
- Being aware of the welfare and safety of self and colleagues.
- Administering petty cash.
- Such other responsibilities as appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Confidently and proficiently using varied computer software systems (for example MS word and MS excel packages).
- Effectively and confidently dealing with people within the council and other professionals, both face to face and over the telephone.
- Assisting clients both face to face and over the telephone.
- Arranging meetings and minute taking.
- Efficient in general office procedures such as filing, invoices and keeping records.
- Minimum of 4 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above or relevant experience.
- Local Authority structures and procedures
- Managing records and filing systems
- Multi-agency working
Interacting and communicating
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
- Speaks fluently
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly
Supporting and co-operating
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values
- Demonstrates integrity
- Promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Adapting and coping
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with pressures and setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment
- Keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it
- Balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Enterprising and performing
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities
Organising and executing
Planning and organising
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Following instructions and procedure
- Not challenging authority
- Follow procedures and policies
- Keeps to schedules
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.