- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Customers and Communities
- Line Manager: Senior Housing Options Officer
- Car user status: Casual
To assist people who are at risk of homelessness to stay in their current property or to assist those who are homeless in obtaining suitable accommodation including the completion of personal housing plans.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To assist in the provision of the Homeless & Housing advice service in order to give comprehensive and consistent information on housing options in Gateshead. The focus of this advice will ensure customers are helped to obtain or sustain suitable accommodation.
- To ensure that the authority’s statutory duty towards vulnerable homeless people is met.
- To fully investigate cases of homelessness and potential homelessness and arrange placement in temporary supported accommodation as required.
- To assist in developing prevention services within Gateshead and provide such information as would assist clients in preventing the loss of their current home.
- To update and maintain computer and written records in accordance with Directorate guidelines ensuring the quality of the information noted is accurate and up to date.
- To assist in the collection and collation of information and statistics in order to assess and improve our services.
- To establish and promote effective working relationships with external partners, agencies and other internal sections that will improve practice and outcomes for individuals and families.
- To work on the out of hours service approximately one duty per week.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Homelessness, housing, health and social care
- Information technology skills
- Safeguarding policies and procedures
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above or equivalent
- Data input and Microsoft Office packages
- Working in a customer focused environment
- Dealing with people face to face in potentially difficult situations
- Managing a complex caseload
- Effective time management and organisation
- Effective communication
- Understanding of equality and diversity legislation
- Working in Housing Advice and Homelessness or a related field
- Relevant professional qualification
- Full UK driving licence
- Homeless Legislation and the related case law
- Housing Law
- Welfare rights and benefits
- Working with a diverse range of customers.
1.1 Deciding and Initiating Action
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people
- Takes initiative and works under own direction
- Initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes
- Makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
3.1 Relating and Networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
3.2 Persuading and Influencing
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating
- Makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others
- Promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others
- Makes a strong personal impact on others
- Takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
6.1 Planning and Organising
- Sets clearly defined objectives
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
7.1 Adapting and Responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences.
7.2 Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment
- Keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it
- Balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
8.1 Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.