- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Directorate: Business and Development
- Service: Employee Support Services
- Line Manager: Lead HR/OD Advisor (Projects)
- Car User Status: Casual
Provide support to the Lead HR/OD Advisor on the development and delivery of HR/OD projects and initiatives in line with organisational objectives and operational delivery.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To undertake projects related to transformation on a variety of topics such as harmonisation of terms and conditions, structure reviews, employee engagement, organisational culture and workforce planning and support line managers during the implementation stage.
- To undertake projects related to process and service improvement on a variety of topics as and when required and appropriate to achieve the delivery of an efficient, proactive and high profile HR/OD function.
- To ensure that projects are delivered within the available resources and to the agreed timescales, providing regular feedback to the Lead HR/OD Advisor (Projects) and raising significant problems/issues in a timely manner so that early, remedial action can be taken.
- To support the development and consultation of human resource policies and procedures, ensuring that the procedural framework is aligned to organisational objectives, corporate culture and best practice.
- To identify and report Risk Issues in regards to HR and people management practices and feedback to the Lead HR/OD Advisor (Projects).
- To support the wider HR/OD team with day to day operational activity as required including:
- o Supporting and advising managers in the conduct of investigations including grievance, discipline and bullying and harassment.o Assess options and advise and support managers in the preparation of case information for presentation at disciplinary, grievance, capability and absence review meetings
o Advise and support managers in the absence management and actively support line managers in the reduction of sickness absence and costs linked to it
o Advise on support managers on redeployment, ill health, retirement or termination in line with company policy, procedure and employment legislation and provide advice and support to employees in the light of these situations
o Advise as appropriate on key aspects of recruitment, in order to ensure delivery and capability, localised workforce plans, organisational change and capacity management.
- To promote partnership working with local and full time trade union officers / representatives to promote a constructive and partnership working culture and constructive resolution to staffing issues
- To take responsibility for own learning and maintain a thorough knowledge of employment law and changing working practices, anticipate and react to implications for the organisation
- Promote a positive culture of equality and diversity inclusion within the organisation
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Understanding of current Employment Law and initiatives
- Experience of providing advice and support to Directors, managers and employees on the full range HR issues.
- Experience of developing and implementing projects and initiatives
- An understanding of compliance and process re-engineering
- Experience of TUPE including harmonisation of terms and conditions and structure reviews
- Experience of partnership working with local and full time trade union officers and representatives
- Experience of producing concise clear written information i.e. letters, reports, policies, procedures, manager/employee briefings
- Experience of public speaking i.e. manager , employee briefings
- Experience of using Microsoft Office software
- Understanding of equality and diversity legislation and the translation of such into the workplace
- CIPD Level five qualified or above/ or equivalent HR/OD experience
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above or relevant experience
Knowledge and experience of:
- Experience of HR/OD in a Public Sector organisation
- Experience of working with a direct Labour Organisation (DLO).
- Knowledge of Housing Management
- Knowledge of Property and Asset
- Previous supervisory or line management experience
- Maximising attendance at work
- Recruitment and selection
- Ability and psychometric testing (recruitment and development)
- Working knowledge of HR Information systems in particular iTrent
- Working with a diverse range of employees
Organising and executing
Planning and Organising
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; manages time effectively; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals
Learning and researching
Rapidly learns new tasks and quickly commits information to memory; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; demonstrates a rapid understanding of newly presented information to support decision making; an encourages organisational learning approach (i.e. learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback); manages knowledge (collects, classifies and disseminates knowledge of use to the organisation).
Adapting and coping
Coping with pressures and setbacks
Works productively in a high pressure environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; balances the demands of work life and personal life; maintains a positive outlook at work; handles criticism well and learns from it.
Interacting and presenting
Persuading and Influencing
Makes a strong personal impression on others; gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; promotes ideas on behalf of self or others; makes effective uses of political processes to influence and persuade others.