Grade SCP 17-20
- Location: Shearlegs Road
- Service: Property and Assets, Repairs and Maintenance
- Line manager: Site Manager
- Car user status: Not applicable
To undertake joinery and carpentry work covering adaptations, repairs, refurbishment and upgrades to a range of housing and other Gateshead Council properties.
The key roles of this post include:
- To ensure conduct and behaviour demonstrates a commitment to the core company values and promotes cross service working to achieve excellent customer service and outcomes
- To be proactive in all aspects of health & safety management to comply with current legislation, including CDM regulations; promote a culture of good health and safety practice within the working environment, ensuring personal responsibilities to yourself and others are discharged in line with company policies and procedures
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues
- To actively participate in the evaluation, development and continuous improvement of the service, keeping up to date with policies and procedures and participating in meetings and training as necessary
- To work as part of a team, collaborating and sharing knowledge openly to enhance service delivery, ensuring both individual and team objectives are met
- To work individually or as part of a team to undertake high quality joinery and carpentry repairs to Council properties and other buildings
- To undertake refurbishment works in association with other trades
- To liaise with customers and sub–contractors to provide a responsive service to our customers
- To undertake a continual programme risk assessment in relation to your role
- To utilise both electronic and paper based systems to accurately record use of labour and materials against each job.
- To travel efficiently and effectively between various works locations within the borough of Gateshead to meet the operational requirements of the service
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Experience in all aspects of joinery work
- Working knowledge of health and safety procedures and regulations
- Knowledge of the repairs and maintenance and/or construction industry
- An understanding of equality and diversity and how this is demonstrated in the workplace
- NVQ level 2 in Joinery, or City and Guilds Craft Certificate (or equivalent)
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade 4/C or above (including Maths and English), or relevant demonstrable experience
- Full driving licence or ability to meet the travel requirements of the post
- Evidence of continual professional development and a willingness to undertake any additional corporate or trade training as required
- Experience of and able to work at height, on scaffold and in confined spaces
- Experience working with UPVC windows and doors
- Working as part of a diverse and inclusive workforce
Speaks confidently and fluently. Talks at a suitable pace and level. Holds others’ attention when speaking.
Identifies potential difficulties and their causes. Generates workable solutions and makes rational judgements.
Knows where to find relevant information. Checks facts and data. Retrieves and absorbs information quickly.
Has background knowledge and a thorough grasp of products and services. Has expertise in own area.
Is reliable; follows directions from supervisors and respects policies and procedures. Shows commitment to the organisation and task completion.
Provides a quality service. Maintains high professional standards and gets work right first time.
Puts the customer first and is eager to please them. Works hard to meet customer needs and looks after their interests.
Remains calm and self-controlled under pressure. Reacts well to change and stays positive despite setbacks. Keeps difficulties in perspective.