Grade – SCP 25-27
- Location: Shearlegs Road or site based
- Service: Property and Assets
- Line manager: Line Supervisor
- Car user status: Not applicable
To undertake joinery and carpentry work covering repairs, refurbishment and upgrades to a range of housing and other Council properties.
The key roles of this post include:
- To work individually or as part of a team to undertake high quality joinery and carpentry repairs to Council properties and schools and offices.
- To undertake refurbishment works in association with other trades.
- To liaise with customers and sub–contractors to provide a responsive service to our customers and external clients.
- Ensure implementation and compliance with Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- To undertake a continual program of Risk Assessment in relation to your role.
- Utilise both electronic and paper based systems to accurately record use of labour and materials against each job.
- Travel efficiently and effectively between various works locations within the borough of Gateshead to meet the operational requirements of the service.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- The post holder may be required to perform duties, appropriate to the post, other than those given in the job specification.
- Time served tradesperson (Joiner)
- Experience in all aspects of joinery work
- Experience of and able to work at height and on scaffold and in confined spaces
- Experience of working with/alongside other trades
- Knowledge of the construction industry
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety procedures and regulations
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- NVQ level 2 or equivalent recognised City and Guilds craft certificate
- Valid driving license
- Current CSCS card or willing to gain this qualification upon appointment
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Able to accurately record materials and timings
- Ability to operate ICT systems to manage workflow
- Working with a diverse range of customers
- Asbestos Awareness
- Manual handling
- Work at height
Speaks confidently and fluently. Talks at a suitable pace and level. Holds others’ attention when speaking.
Identifies potential difficulties and their causes. Generates workable solutions and makes rational judgements.
Knows where to find relevant information. Checks facts and data. Retrieves and absorbs information quickly.
Has background knowledge and a thorough grasp of products and services. Has expertise in own area.
Is reliable; follows directions from supervisors and respects policies and procedures. Shows commitment to the organisation and task completion.
Provides a quality service. Maintains high professional standards and gets work right first time.
Puts the customer first and is eager to please them. Works hard to meet customer needs and looks after their interests.
Remains calm and self-controlled under pressure. Reacts well to change and stays positive despite setbacks. Keeps difficulties in perspective.