- Location: As directed
- Service: Customers and Communities, Neighborhood Services
- Line Manager: Older Persons Housing Officer
- Car user status: Casual
To support people living in sheltered accommodation in Gateshead to live independently.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To help people in sheltered housing live independently by completing and monitoring support plans.
- To ensure that sheltered schemes are kept safe and secure by adhering to health and safety procedures.
- To call and respond to emergencies in sheltered schemes and carry out home visits.
- To help co-ordinate and develop social activities and services within the schemes to encourage active participation by tenants.
- To ensure that records and equipment are checked and updated as directed.
- To work in partnership with Gateshead Council’s CareCall team and other agencies in the provision of quality older persons housing services.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Such other duties reasonably falling within the purview of the grade as may be required.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above (or equivalent) including Maths and English or relevant experience
- Full driving licence and access to a car (for which casual car user status will be payable)
- Good organisational skills
- Effective communicator
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- Housing and Social Care issues
- Safeguarding procedures
- Health and safety procedures
- Working with a diverse range of customers
- Dealing with potentially difficult situations
- Working under pressure, meeting targets and deadlines
- Experience of working in customer services
Deciding and initiating action
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people
- Takes initiative and works under own direction
- Initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes
- Makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy
- Listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values
- Demonstrates integrity
- Promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Planning and organising
- Sets clearly defined objectives
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Following instructions and procedures
- Not challenging authority
- Follows procedures and policies
- Keeps to schedules
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences.