- Location: As directed
- Service: Customers and Communities (Neighbourhood Services)
- Line manager: Housing Manager
- Car user status: Casual
To deliver a comprehensive, customer-focused and responsive tenancy and estate management service to sustain tenancies. Supporting tenants and helping to create safe and clean sustainable neighbourhoods.
The key roles of this post will include (subject to review):
- Proactively manage a cross tenure patch of properties, including properties managed on behalf of other landlords, providing customer-focused services in line with the company’s service standards and values.
- To become the key local contact for tenants, providing appropriate support and early intervention to sustain tenancies and maximise income.
- To work with vulnerable tenants, making appropriate referrals and liaising with partners and services to develop and monitor support plans.
- Carry out a range of visits to ensure tenancies are sustained and properties are kept in good condition.
- To provide customers with appropriate housing advice and where necessary carry out home visits to assist the rehousing process; this includes visits to approve mutual exchanges and registration of transfers.
- To proactively manage and investigate reports of nuisance and ASB to prevent escalation. Take appropriate action in each case, working in partnership with other services and agencies to seek a positive resolution.
- To undertake reviews of fixed term and introductory tenancies.
- To provide a responsive estate management service to ensure a clean, safe and sustainable environment, reporting and tackling environmental issues daily.
- Carry out scheduled inspections to support and compliment the daily identification of issues on estates and communal areas.
- To liaise with customers, other services, councillors and a range of partners. On occasion this will mean working outside of normal working hours.
- To support other company services and where appropriate to contact tenants or gain access to homes to minimise repairing and other costs and maximise income in line with the company’s priorities.
- To promote a range of customer involvement opportunities and undertake appropriate consultation exercises around the delivery of housing management services.
- To be responsible for managing priorities and achieving key performance targets in line with the company’s performance indicators and service standards and those agreed at the annual appraisal.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Dealing with potentially difficult situations
- Providing support to vulnerable customers
- Displaying a positive “can do” approach
- Effective negotiation and communication skills both verbal and written
- Effective partnership working
- Managing and prioritising a varied workload
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Working under pressure, meeting targets and deadlines
- Effective ICT skills – including working knowledge of the Microsoft Office packages.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above (including Maths and English) or equivalent (or relevant experience)
- Housing and social care issues
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- Property management
- Estate management
- Tenancy management
- IT skills including housing-related software packages and mobile working
- Adapting to change
- Computer-related further education qualification
- Professional housing qualification
- Full driving licence
- Appropriate housing related legislation
- Welfare reform
- Working with a diverse range of customers
- Value for money
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Planning and organising
- Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Following Instructions and Procedures
- Not challenging authority; follows procedures and policies;
- Keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings
- Demonstrates commitment to the organisation
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life
and a personal life.
Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.