- Location: Shearlegs Road
- Service: Property and Assets
- Line Manager: Senior Quantity Surveyor
- Car user status: Casual
To work within the Commercial Team to deliver Quantity Surveying services across the directorate; including all pre-contract and post contract requirements, within tight timescales and to meet contractual needs. All in accordance with operating procedures and Quality Management system.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To produce and monitor estimates, budgets and cashflow forecasts.
- To produce bills of quantities and schedules of works based on survey information provided by others, and prepare estimated cost of works packages
- To carry out the examination of subcontractor tender submissions, checking for completeness, legal, contractual and mathematical correctness; resolving any queries and providing proposals for tender acceptance or otherwise.
- To prepare remeasurements, interim valuations, cost value reconciliations (CVR), final accounts and contractual claims; providing regular reports to the management team on the financial performance of the business.
- To prepare and monitor performance management schemes for the direct labour workforce and provide regular reports to the management team to enable effective operational delivery.
- To procure subcontractor services, including long-term frameworks and engagement under standard forms of contract.
- To procure materials and monitor expenditure against estimates.
- To assist in the preparation of programme of works for contracts with the operational team.
- To attend various meetings including pre-start, progress and post contract reviews.
- To be aware of and comply with The Gateshead Housing Company’s financial regulations and health & safety policy, as well as industry codes of practice and technical development; to establish and maintain sound commercial practice.
- To deliver quality services within an appropriate framework (Best Value, Quality Assurance) and increase customer satisfaction.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- HNC or equivalent qualification in Quantity Surveying or similar discipline
- Full driving licence
- Quantity Surveying with significant experience
- Subcontractor procurement
- Working with standard forms of construction contract and providing recommendations on the most appropriate form for specific projects.
- Preparing financial information independently
- Managing own workload and working independently
- ICT systems including MS Office
- Working as part of a diverse and inclusive workforce
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Procurement rules and legislation
- Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of equality and diversity and the ability to evidence how this would be displayed within the workplace
- Degree or equivalent in Quantity Surveying
- Relevant professional qualification.
- ICT systems including Northgate and Agresso
- Health and Safety legislation
- Working with a diverse range of customers
Deciding and Initiating Action
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with People
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Writing and Reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
Learning and Researching
Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; encourages an organisational learning approach (i.e. learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback).
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the organisation; maintains awareness of developments in the organisational structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.