- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Housing Services
- Line manager: Senior Refugee Resettlement Worker
- Car user status: Casual
To provide effective support to refugees who may have complex needs and who are resettling within the borough of Gateshead. Complex needs may include housing support related needs, domestic abuse, financial problems, physical/mental health, and legal/family reunification issues.
The key roles of this post will include:
- To provide practical and emotional support to refugees assisting with issues around finances, health, housing, life skills, personal safety, legal/family reunification issues, parenting, ESOL and employment.
- To undertake practical support with clients to promote sustainable independent living.
- To use effective risk assessment tools to identify risks and undertake appropriate actions.
- To develop effective individual support packages by completing needs assessments, support plans and support reviews.
- To work within a multi agency framework, communicating effectively with colleagues, other professionals and clients ensuring that there is a co-ordinated response to support. This may include attending TAFs, Core Groups, Conferences and Strategy Meetings and writing any required reports.
- To adhere to performance and monitoring requirements, complying with systems in place to monitor data and outcomes. This will include completing support paperwork to a high standard.
- Adhere to The Gateshead Housing Company policies and procedures regarding working practices and service delivery. This will include; Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults, Health and Safety, Data Protection/Confidentiality and our Code of Conduct.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Any such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Working with refugees/vulnerable people
- Assessing need and documenting support
- Working within a multi-agency framework
- Time management skills
- Effective communication skills
- Microsoft Office packages
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above or relevant experience.
- Have an awareness of the Syrian Refugee Resettlement programme.
- Have knowledge of Data Protection/Confidentiality, safeguarding policies and procedures such as Child Protection, Safeguarding Adults and MARAC.
- Understanding of equality and diversity legislation
- Relevant professional qualification e.g Housing or Support
- Full driving licence
- Current welfare benefits
- Working with a diverse range of customers
Interacting and Communicating
Relating and networking
Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Supporting and Co-operating
Working with people
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to principles and values
Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Adapting and Coping
Adapting and responding to change
Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with pressures and setbacks
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Enterprising and Performing
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm; works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary; seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence; identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.
Organising and Executing
Planning and organising
Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Following instructions and procedures
Not challenging authority; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.