- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Customers and Communities
- Line Manager: Customer Services Manager
- Car User Status: Casual
To undertake specialist assessments of the housing needs of disabled people, and of children with physical or behavioural conditions. To provide advice on the most appropriate available housing options, and to co-ordinate the provision of equipment.
The key roles of this post will include:
1. You will be working with those with the most complex housing needs to ensure that appropriate housing is sourced. Specifically, both adults and children who may be wheelchair users, those with degenerative and life limiting conditions, complex physical and mental health issues.
2. You will be supported by an Occupational Therapist Assistant and you will provide supervision and guidance to this post holder.
3. You will need to work in partnership with key partners, service users and carers to plan, implement and evaluate services provided on the basis of assessed risks and needs, to identify relevant housing options, adaptations, equipment and support ensuring an effective and efficient service is provided in accordance with relevant policies.
4. You will undertake specialist Occupational Therapist assessments in line with the appropriate allocation of vacant properties to service users who have a disability and their families and have project management systems in place to manage those requirements.
5. You will be competent at documenting and presenting your cases in a variety of ways at a number of different forums.
6. You will give advice to the team in relation to the appropriate levels of priority reflected by medical conditions.
7. To adhere to the Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct standards of the College of Occupational Therapists.
8. To provide advice and make comments on design schemes for adaptations or new build properties.
9. To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
10. Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Good assessment and problem solving skills
- Committed to continuous professional development
- Self-motivated and ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise own workload and to work with minimum supervision
- Bachelor of Science honours degree in Occupational Therapy
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Current driving licence and access to transport (casual car user status will be eligible)
- Government legislation and guidance affecting this service area
- Knowledge and experience of the effects of disability on the individual
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- Experience in project management
- Experience of implementing and developing systems
- Ability to interpret architectural plans
- Knowledge of evidence based practice
- Knowledge of Gateshead Council’s property stock
- Knowledge of Gateshead’s lettings policy
- Working with a diverse range of customers
Deciding and initiating action
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people
- Takes initiative and works under own direction
- Initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes
- Makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with people
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members
- Shows empathy
- Listens, supports and cares for others
- Consults others and shares information and expertise with them
- Builds team spirit and reconciles conflict
- Adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity
- Promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Relating and networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff
- Relates well to people at all levels
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Applying expertise and technology
- Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise
- Uses technology to achieve work objectives
- Develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals.
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.