- Location: Shearlegs Road Depot
- Service: Property and Assets
- Line manager: Head of Service
- Car user status: Casual
To manage and lead a department that Project Manages and operationally delivers works such as, but not limited to:
- Investment works to Council Housing
- Investment works to Non-Domestic Buildings
- New Build Housing
- New Build Commercial buildings
- Commercial and Domestic Renovations
The key responsibilities:
- To ensure conduct and behaviour demonstrates a commitment to the core company values and promotes cross service working to achieve an excellent customer service and outcomes
- To recruit, manage, develop and coach team members to maximise their full potential
- To be proactive in all aspects of health & safety management to comply with current legislation, including CDM Regulations, promote a culture of good health and safety practice within the working environment, ensuring personal responsibilities to yourself and others are discharged in line with company policies and procedures.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse, and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues
- Managing and coordinating the delivery and compliance of all Construction related works in accordance with relevant regulations and contract specifications, health & safety legislation, programmes and KPIs.
- Maintain robust systems to enable effective performance monitoring making best use of ICT
- Responsibility for the financial performance of the department to ensure profitability is maintained
- Develop and deliver service standards, policies and procedures with the involvement of employees and customers that reflect best practice
- Developing new business opportunities
- Liaise directly with partners and deliver an efficient, open and professional service to stakeholders in the development of work streams
- To assist in the collation of reports for the board and its committees
- Such other responsibilities allocated appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Recruiting, managing, coaching and developing technical teams and individuals specifically focused on medium to large Construction projects
- Effective performance management of the service to achieve performance targets and service standards
- The construction industry generally at an enhanced level and in particular new build and renovation projects.
- Management of workload & financial planning and control
- Partnership/collaborative working
- Management of Health and Safety legislation and CDM regs.
- HND or equivalent qualification in a construction / M&E related discipline or willing to work towards
- Significant experience and expertise in operational delivery of construction works
- Commitment to Continuing Professional development
- SMSTS Health & Safety qualification or equivalent
- Full Driving Licence or ability to meet the transport requirements of the role.
Skills and knowledge:
- Up-to-date knowledge of best practice in your department’s area of expertise.
- An understanding of the workings of local government and the challenges being set by new local government agenda along with the financial, legal and political context of local government.
- Ability to develop strategies in ways to better deliver your service area.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer care skills
- Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of equality and diversity and the ability to evidence how this would be displayed within the workplace.
- Local Authority policy and procedures
- Significant experience and expertise in operational delivery of construction works within a Local Authority environment
- Working as part of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Management qualification
- Membership of construction related professional body.
Formulating Strategies and Concepts
Able to combine a strategic and practical approach to maximizing the performance of the department.
Deciding and Initiating Action
A decision maker who listens to and responds to the view of others along with a high degree of integrity and probity.
Leading and Supervising
Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high calibre; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
Persuading and Influencing
Ability to influence and negotiate effectively along with the ability to lead, motivate and inspire confidence and enthusiasm.
Writing and Reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Planning and Organising
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Adapting and Responding to change
Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.