- Location: Various locations across the borough of Gateshead
- Service: Customers and Communities
- Line Manager: Senior Housing Options Officer
- Car user status: Casual
To undertake the day-to-day cleaning and general maintenance of homeless temporary accommodation.
The key roles of this post will include:
- Ensuring conduct and behaviour demonstrates a commitment to the core company values and promotes cross-service working, to achieve excellent customer service and outcomes
- Being proactive in all aspects of health and safety management to comply with current legislation and promoting a culture of good health and safety practice within the working environment, ensuring personal responsibilities to yourself and others are discharged in line with company policies and procedures
- Demonstrating a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues
- Actively participating in the evaluation, development and continuous improvement of the scheme, keeping up to date with policies and procedures and participating in meetings and training as necessary.
- Working in partnership with service users and other agencies to provide a quality service.
- Being responsible for the preparation and maintenance of properties throughout the borough; this includes cleaning/re-stocking and reporting all repairs identified promptly, and ensuring all work is carried out in accordance with health and safety policies and procedures.
- Carrying out basic maintenance; assembling furniture packs, curtain poles, blinds etc.
- Liaising with appropriate agencies to provide a direct response for short-term emergency situations, such as arranging emergency repairs
- Maintaining accurate records and accessibility of information for the service
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of post.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- 5 GCSEs at Grade C / 4 or above, including Maths and English, or relevant experience
- Full valid driving licence or ability to meet the transport requirements of this role
- General maintenance – ie. fitting curtain poles, assembling furniture, changing light bulbs
- Demonstrate the ability to organise your own workload
- Moving and handling competence
- Basic first aid
- Working with a diverse range of customers
- Computer literate
- Previous experience in housing or social care
Competencies relating to this post
Relating to Customers
- Quickly builds rapport and easily establishes relationships with customers
- Relates well to different types of customer; listens and gets on with them.
- Fits in with the team
- Develops effective and supportive relationships with colleagues
- Is considerate towards them and creates a sense of team spirit.
- Identifies potential difficulties and their causes
- Generates workable solutions and makes rational judgements.
- Provides a quality service
- Maintains high professional standards and gets work right first time.
- Organises own time effectively and creates own work schedules
- Prioritises and prepares in advance
- Sets realistic timescales.
- Is reliable; follows directions from supervisors and respects policies and procedures
- Shows commitment to the organisation and task completion.
- Puts the customer first and is eager to please them
- Works hard to meet customer needs and looks after their interests.
- Remains calm and self-controlled under pressure
- Reacts well to change and stays positive despite setbacks
- Keeps difficulties in perspective.