Leasehold handbook – Repairs and maintenance

by The Gateshead Housing Company & filed under Owning your home - leaseholder - leasehold handbook, Owning your home - leaseholders.

As part of our commitment to quality services, The Gateshead Housing Company aims to provide a reliable and quick repair service to our residents.

Who is responsible for repairs?

SpannerWe are responsible for keeping the structure of the building and any communal areas of your block in good repair.

In line with the terms and conditions of your lease you have to pay a share of the cost of these repairs.

We will send you a statement every three months confirming any repairs and/or maintenance we have carried out to your block and your contribution.

You will be billed for repairs detailed on the statement through your Actual Service charge invoice, which is issued in June of each year.

Any money already paid on your estimated invoice towards repairs and maintenance will be automatically deducted.

See a full list of types of repairs and who is responsible

How to report a repair that is our responsibility

If you think we are responsible for a repair, contact the HomeRepairs Team.

Repairs reported by a leaseholder will receive the same priority as a tenant of The Gateshead Housing Company, and will be dealt with accordingly, depending on the urgency.

Repair timescales

If you are not sure who is responsible, HomeRepairs will be able to advise you, or you can refer to the conditions of your lease.

Emergency repairs can be reported at any time, seven days a week, by calling the HomeRepairs Team.

Please note: If you demand an out-of-hours emergency callout when the repair could have been dealt with reasonably within normal working hours, there may be a callout charge.

Each of our housing offices and concierge stations have a phone you can use to call the service free of charge.

What do I need to tell you when I report a repair?

  • Your name, address and phone number if you have one – your phone number will help us if we need to contact you
  • As full a description of the problem as possible
  • If the repair is needed as a result of storm damage, as this can be claimed under your Buildings Insurance Policy
  • If the repair is needed as a result of vandalism or crime as this can also be claimed under your Buildings Insurance Policy. You will need to provide us with a crime reference number.

What will happen next?

We will first make sure that it is our responsibility to do the repair.

If it is, and we have enough information about the repair, an order will be placed with a contractor to carry out the work.

Wherever possible the order will be placed immediately.

Who will carry out the work?

We employ contractors to carry out repairs that are our responsibility.

All of our contractors carry identity cards and they will have details about the repair and the work to be carried out. Please make sure you check their identification before you let anyone into your block/home.

When I’ve reported the repair, how long will it take to do?

We have guidelines on how long different repairs should take. This makes sure that everyone is treated fairly.

Gas servicing

You must have your gas appliances serviced every year and send us a copy of your certificate.

This ensures all residents in your block feel safe in the knowledge that leaseholders as well as tenants have safeguarded against accidents.

If a certificate is not supplied the company has the right to carry out the service and recover any costs from you (depending on the terms of your lease and the date your property was purchased under the Right to Buy scheme).

The company provides a gas servicing scheme for leaseholders, offered at a competitive rate.

For more information contact the Leasehold Services Team on 0191 433 5395.

Making sure you get a good service

As a leaseholder you have to contribute towards the cost of repairs, of which the remainder is shared between Gateshead Council and other leaseholders in your block.

It is important that we all get value for money from the repairs service.

If the job is not completed to a good standard, or it is not done within the timescales given, contact the HomeRepairs Team.

Repairs to your own flat

You are responsible for repairs inside your flat, including the glass in your windows.

If you, or someone you have employed, are carrying out repairs inside your flat you must make sure that no damage is done to shared services or the structure of the block. You will be liable for any damage to the landlord’s property and will have to pay to put it right.

If you are in any doubt about work you intend to carry out, email the Leasehold Team or call 0191 433 5395.

You must not carry out repairs where the landlord is responsible, for example to the roof, brickwork, landings and stairways. You would not be covered by our insurance if you had an accident or caused damage.

If you, your visitors, or members of your household cause any damage to the block you will have to pay for the necessary repairs.

Always report repairs in shared areas to the HomeRepairs Team.


Condensation can be a problem in flats if you do not have proper ventilation.

Condensation often causes black mould that can spoil walls and ceilings, and also clothes, curtains and carpets.

Information on preventing condensation

Report damp and mould using our online form.

Water Hygiene

Although the risk is very low, there is a chance that legionella bacteria can develop in stagnant or stored water.

We are committed to looking after the health of our residents, and will be completing water hygiene risk assessments to all of our tenanted properties.

As a leaseholder you have a legal responsibility to conduct a risk assessment and review it if you make changes to the water systems.

You may conduct the risk assessment yourself if you have sufficient understanding of water systems or we can arrange for a risk assessment to be carried out on your behalf at a reasonable price.

If you sublet the property you are still responsible for the risk assessment and for providing advice to your tenant. You must review the risk assessment upon each change of tenancy and if there are changes to the water systems.

Further information about water hygiene and your responsibilities.

See also