- Location: Gateshead Civic Centre
- Service: Corporate Services
- Line manager: Support Services Manager
- Car user status: Casual.
To provide a comprehensive and innovative Organisational Development (OD) service, contributing to the development, implementation and evaluation of a range of OD strategies. Sharing knowledge through passion for people development, the OD Advisor will support learning and development, coaching and mentoring, talent management, succession planning and employee engagement initiatives.
The key roles of the post include:
- Developing managers to increase capability in managing, leading, developing, engaging and motivating teams
- Managing induction, performance management, appraisal, training matrix and providing advice and support on personal development plans
- Working with managers to identify service specific training and development requirements, using innovation to offer cost effective interventions
- Coordinating training including populating the online training prospectus and e-learning programmes
- Preparing activity reports to Resources Committee and other stakeholders as required
- Ensuring all activity delivers improvements, efficiency, value for money and return on investment
- Development and delivery of in-house bespoke training to meet corporate and service objectives, procuring external providers (by exception)
- Develop and deliver employment and training initiatives to include an apprenticeship scheme
- Identifying funding opportunities that maximise learning opportunities
- Other projects which include leading on or supporting with Investors in People (IIP) accreditation and employee surveys
- Providing feedback on psychometric assessments and ability tests
- Monitoring and daily management of the training budget
- Acting as an ambassador of the service by positively promoting corporate and service objectives and initiatives through effective relationships with managers, employees, partners and other stakeholders
- Any other duties and responsibilities within the grade of the post.
- An up-to-date working knowledge of developments affecting the housing sector and impact on the workforce
- An understanding of the main national initiatives for improving the quality and standard of services in the housing sector.
- The design, development and delivery of a range of learning programmes
- Managing projects and action plans
- Working with managers and employees.
- A professional training, or equivalent, qualification.
- Using MS Office or compatible software applications
- Experience of commissioning training from external providers
- Working with senior managers
- Collaborative working with partners and other agencies
- Supporting the learning and development of others
- Working in partnership with unions
- Experience of the social-housing sector.
- Level A & B BPS registered.
Competencies relating to this post
Leading and deciding
Deciding and initiating action
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Supporting and cooperating
Working with people
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Interacting and presenting
Presenting and communicating information
Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Analysing and interpreting
Writing and reporting
Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Creating and conceptualising
Learning and researching
Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; encourages an organisational learning approach (ie learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback).
Organising and executing
Planning and organising
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting and coping
Adapting and responding to change
Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Fair and inclusive, valuing diversity
The Gateshead Housing Company person takes every opportunity to make sure that all employees and customers have fair access to opportunities and services. Treating everyone with respect they offer support for everyone to make their voice heard. Through feedback and challenge they are fair and inclusive.
The Gateshead Housing Company person puts customers, whether internal or external, at the heart of what they do. Through listening and communication, they manage customer expectations without being afraid to acknowledge when things have gone wrong and to learn.
Open and honest
The Gateshead Housing Company person shares information in the most appropriate way to ensure promises are kept so customers and colleagues know exactly what is going on.
The Gateshead Housing Company person takes ownership of their actions by understanding what is expected and using feedback to improve performance
Innovative and passionate about what we do
The Gateshead Housing Company person is proud of what they do and where they do it. They are proactive and innovative, keeping an open mind to new ways of working.