|Location: As directed|
|Service: Customers and Communities|
|Line Manager: Housing Manager/Caretaker Supervisor – Multi-storey Team|
|Car User Status: Casual|
To help create and maintain a clean, attractive and safe place to live in multi-storey blocks.
The key roles of this post will include:
- Provide a high standard of cleanliness within multi-storey blocks to the published service standard.
- Play a key role in ensuring the security of the building and surrounding areas. Reporting any evidence of antisocial behaviour in the block and surrounding area. Initiating action to deal with vandalism or emergency situations and contact the appropriate services.
- Report repairs and maintenance required to communal and external areas to the appropriate services.
- Carry out minor repairs e.g. changing light bulbs and redecoration, e.g. paint over graffiti when required.
- Routine manual handling skills, including the rotation of refuse bins.
- Verify credentials of official visitors such as those making deliveries or acting on behalf of public utilities, Gateshead Council or TGHC.
- Accompany Estate Officer on new visits and accompanied viewings when required.
- Carry out visits to new tenants advising them of relevant information about their block, the role of the caretaker, including the services they can provide.
- Have responsibility to enhance grounds maintenance provided by other agencies including litter picking external areas of the block, footpaths and gullies
- Work closely with other TGHC and Council sections and external agencies to achieve a clean, attractive and safe place to live in multi-storey blocks.
- Work on a rota system to provide an out-of-hours emergency callout service for a number of multi-storey blocks.
- To provide a first point of contact for residents and visitors and be able to deal with queries or signpost to the appropriate service.
- To demonstrate a positive, diverse and inclusive attitude to both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post.
- 5 GCSEs (at least grade C) or relevant experience
- Communicating effectively
- Delivering good Customer Service
- Working unsupervised as and when required
- Using own initiative to solve problems
- Liaising with external agencies
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of what equality and diversity means in the workplace
- Using handyman and DIY skills
- Grounds Maintenance
- Identifying health and safety issues
Competencies relating to this post
Relating to customers
Quickly builds rapport and easily establishes relationships with customers. Relates well to different types of customer; listens and gets on with them.
Speaks confidently and fluently. Talks at a suitable pace and level. Holds others’ attention when speaking.
Identifies potential difficulties and their causes. Generates workable solutions and makes rational judgements.
Organises own time effectively and creates own work schedules. Prioritises and prepares in advance. Sets realistic time-scales.
Is reliable; follows directions from supervisors and respects policies and procedures. Shows commitment to the organisation and task completion.
Puts the customer first and is eager to please them. Works hard to meet customer needs and looks after their interests.
Remains calm and self-controlled under pressure. Reacts well to change and stays positive despite setbacks. Keeps difficulties in perspective.