Gateshead Council and The Gateshead Housing Company are looking to get the views of residents on updating the tenancy agreement.
The agreement is the legal contract between the landlord, Gateshead Council and almost 20,000 tenants across the borough.
When signing it tenants agree to a set of conditions on how they will maintain their home, keep up with their rent and how they, their families and any visitors will behave.
It was last updated in 2008, and changes to legislation and how homes are managed means it is timely for the agreement to be reviewed once again.
Current tenants, as well as those looking to move to Gateshead Council homes in the future, are being asked to give their views on potential changes including:
- Changes in legislation (the law)
- Updates on antisocial behaviour, gardens, fences, hedges, repairs, improvements, animals, communal areas, equality, diversity, charges and gas servicing.
The Gateshead Housing Company has organised drop-in sessions where tenants can find out more.
The sessions are being held at:
- Birtley housing office – Monday, 28 October between 10am and 12 noon; and Friday, 8 November between 2pm and 4pm
- Blaydon housing office – Friday, 25 October between 10am and 12 noon; and Monday, 4 November between 2pm and 4pm
- Dunston housing office – Friday, 25 October between 2pm and 4pm; and Friday, 1 November between 10am and 12 noon
- Felling housing office – Thursday, 31 October between 10am and 12 noon; and Tuesday, 5 November between 2pm and 4pm
- Gateshead Civic Centre – Wednesday, 30 October between 10am and 2pm; and Wednesday 6 November between 10am and 2pm
- Leam Lane housing office – Friday 1 November between 2pm and 4pm; and Friday, 8 November between 10am and 12 noon
- Wrekenton housing office – Monday, 28 October between 2pm and 4pm; and Monday, 4 November between 10am and 12 noon.
Tenants wanting to find out more should contact The Gateshead Housing Company’s Involvement Team on 0191 433 5357 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Following consultation events tenants will be sent details of the proposed changes and be asked for their views.
All comments received will be considered and, where appropriate, included in the new agreement, which will then need to be approved by Gateshead Council.
Tenants will then be sent details of the approved changes at least 28 days before the new agreement takes effect.