The Duty to Refer, and making a referral

by The Gateshead Housing Company & filed under Help in your home.

The public bodies with a duty to refer are: 

Jobcentre Plus
social service
probation services
hospitals, as part of providing inpatient care
emergency departments
urgent treatment centres
youth offender institutions
secure training centres
secure colleges
youth offending teams
Royal Navy
Royal Marines
Royal Air Force

What you need to know

  • You can refer any customer / service user you’ve identified as being either homeless or threatened with homelessness. Take a look at the other information in this section for more advice.
  • The customer / service user must give their consent to be referred.
  • The individual can choose which local authority they wish to be referred to, so ask them where they would like the referral to be sent.
  • If in any doubt, or if your customer / service user needs urgent housing assistance, please contact Housing Services on 0191 433 3174.

If you’re one of the public bodies in the table above and want to refer a customer, you can register and complete our secure online referral form (bottom of page) or email us.